FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE HOME TEMPLE?
The Home Temple is an association of diverse non-professional, interfaith, and home-ministry practitioners of sacramental Priesthood who are devoted to the authentic and historical Teachings, practice, and stream of human spiritual evolution initiated by Mar Yeshua, the Master Jesus. The Teachings are better preserved in Chasidic and Kabbalistic traditions of Judaism than in Christianity, but they have been restored by the tools of modern scholarship and made available for private study by Home Templars. Transmission of the historical lineage of Apostolic Priesthood provides each Home Templar with an intimate mystical link to the living Master Jesus that potentiates self-evolution and service to humanity. Many Home Temple practitioners work in congregations or chaplaincies.
IS IT A CHURCH?
The Home Temple is a non-profit religious denomination operating under the same laws as churches, synagogues, and other temples. As an alternative to religious professionalism and career clergy, however, no money is collected and no salaries or fees paid for religious services. Spiritual vocation is separate from professional vocation. The Home Temple charters home churches or ministries that operate under their own names. Bishops may also elect to incorporate their ministries as specific corporations sole operating in connection with the Home Temple under certain conditions. Home Temple founding Presiding Bishops and Directors Lewis and Willa Keizer serve on the Board of Directors with other Bishops of the Synod. The Board of Directors is advised by the Board of Directors of the Synod of Home Temple Bishops, which meets annually in conference.
WHAT IS THE MISSION OF THE HOME TEMPLE?
The mission of the Home Temple is
1. To screen, train, Ordain, and empower postulants for home-based, interfaith, non-professional (i.e., non-fee-based), independent Apostolic Diaconate, Priesthood, and Episcopate based on the teachings and practices of Mar Yeshua, the Master Jesus, using distance-learning, seminar, and other modalities.
2. To keep in communication with the world-wide Synod of Home Temple Bishops to find ways that Bishops can empower each other’s ministries, explore ways to cooperate collegially, and carry on other business of the Home Temple.
3. To provide educational and consulting programs and seminars in specific areas of concern designated by the Directors of the Home Temple, including (but not limited to) life-cycle ministry such as the Death Doula program; the history, comparison, phenomenology, and practices of Buddhism and other religious traditions; self-healing and spiritual transformation using homeopathy, hypnotherapy, movement, sacred liturgy, incubation or dream-therapy, and other effective means.
4. To offer regular sacramental liturgy and spiritual services such as Divine Communion and traditional life-cycle ministries without fee.
5. To promote the development of non-professional sacramental Priesthood, home churches and ministries, volunteer chaplaincies, and other Apostolic ministries consistent with the historical teaching and practice of Mar Yeshua, the Master Jesus.
6. To operate a special program for esoteric and mystical studies and practices as a First- and Second Order mystery school called the Temple of the Holy Grail (T:.H:.G:.) that develops the work of theurgical Grail Priesthood for the blessing and evolution of humanity and the planet, and for the self-evolution of the Priest(ess).
7. To empower worthy women and men with appropriate spiritual training and legitimate orders of ministry in the historical lineages of valid, traditional Apostolic Succession from Mar Yeshua, the Master Jesus, that will be exercised without fee according to the Home Temple Code of Ethics, which is published on the Home Temple web site, introductory materials, and training handbooks, and must be signed by every postulant before receiving authority to proceed in the studies.
HOW IS THE HOME TEMPLE PROGRAM DIFFERENT FROM THOSE OF
OTHER HOME-STUDY SEMINARIES?
1. The Home Temple Movement is an international impulse initiated to serve the spiritual needs of the New Humanity that church and other religious institutions can no longer satisfy.
2. The Home Temple program is less costly and more accessible than denominational and "degree mill" home study seminaries that either lack Apostolic Succession or do not normally consecrate bishops.
3. Home Temple academic curriculums are based on contemporary objective scholarship, not denominational doctrine and dogma.
4. Studies and seminars are personally overseen by highly qualified spiritual initiates and practitioners.
5. Deacons, Priests, and Bishops of the Home Temple are free to teach and practice their own spirituality within the framework of a basic code of ethics---diversity is encouraged.
6. The Home Temple consecrates bishops from among its priesthood without distinctions of race, religion, gender, or sexual preference.
7. The Home Temple integrates powerful spiritual practice with academic training--it is not merely a "book learning" correspondence course.
8. The Home Temple is selective in accepting Postulants and reserves the right to refuse further ordination or disaffiliate an ordained person who does not uphold the ethics and standards of priesthood. In extreme cases, a Presiding Bishop may convene an ecclesiastical court to hear evidence.
WHAT IS APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION?
Apostolic Succession is the lineage of ordination originating with the Master Jesus and his Apostles. It has been carried down through history by the Catholic and Orthodox churches. As opposed to Protestant ministry, which is not a true Priesthood, it can be transmitted only by bishops who are historical successors of the Apostles. It is also known as the Priesthood of Melchizedek. In the latter part of the nineteenth century, valid lines of Apostolic Succession were transmitted into independent church groups of Europe, England, and America, much to the chagrin of Roman and other church hierarchies. After years of legal battling in ecclesiastical and secular courts, the Catholic and Orthodox churches were forced to recognize the validity of these “irregular” Apostolic orders. Apostolic Succession provides a powerful, invisible link to the Master Jesus and becomes a vital source of interior transformation for each ordained person through meditation, dreams, and the Sacraments. In the early churches, most members of a congregation were ordained into major or minor Apostolic orders. In the Home Temple, all members receive ordination. To the threefold major orders of Bishop, Priest, and Deacon, which are transmitted through ordination and laying-on of hands, we add the minor-order office of Subdeacon, for which certification from the Presiding Bishops is provided when a person first undertakes studies as a Postulant for ordination as a Deacon. Since the offices of Priest and Deacon are incremental delegations of Apostolic authority by laying-on of hands, the certification as Subdeacon is also such a delegation. The Home Temple has no laity. All members are at various levels of ordination in all twenty-two surviving lines of valid Apostolic Succession. “You are a chosen generation, a royal Priesthood.” I Peter 2.9
WHO ARE HOME TEMPLE PRIESTS AND PRIESTESSES?
Home Templars are people from all walks of life who share a common devotion to the authentic teachings of the Master Jesus and sacramental, practice-based spirituality. They need not be members of any specific religion. Christian baptism is not required. The Home Temple is not a Christian church denomination. Other than a basic code of ethics, it does not promulgate any denominational doctrine or dogma. Home Templars may be Christians, Buddhists, Jews, or unaffiliated with any religion. Each Home Temple is unique in its spiritual diversity.
The Home Temple is an association of men and women committed to spiritual self-transformation and social service empowered by the sacred Priesthood of Melchizedek. They have chosen to join a growing international spiritual community taking private action to end the cultural distinctions that religious institutions have promulgated between clergy and laity, men and women, Christians and Jews, and any other discriminations of race, gender, or sexual orientation. Yet they approach life in a sacred way, honoring the reality of things that religious institutions have distorted.
The mission of the Home Temple is to empower such people with the world’s oldest and most powerful continuous spiritual lineage from one of the greatest spiritual teachers who ever walked the earth—the Master Jesus.